This award, presented at the Global Awards Dinner on the 2 May 2019 in New York, bears witness to the quality of the Bank's global platform and its commitment to deliver a broad variety of innovative and tailored financing solutions.
BNP Paribas was honored by Airfinance Journal as 2018 Aviation Finance House of the Year for the first time.
The jury, an independent panel of judges, diverse both geographically and by area of experience, focused on four key criteria to select the winner: Market environment, Innovation, Overcoming obstacles, and Ability to perform above expectations
The bank "particularly distinguished itself in the asset-backed securitisation (ABS) and debt capital markets," according to AirFinance Journal's (AFJ) jury.
BNP Paribas' involvement in aviation transactions totalled more than $50 billion in 2018. This included more than $39 billion of capital markets and revolving credit facilities and over $11 billion of commercial loans. Last year it was involved in more than 30 capital markets deals in the sector, with 17 revolving credit facilities as well as 51 aircraft financings and refinancings.
BNP Paribas' Aviation teams in EMEA, Americas and APAC were able to deliver significant value for their clients in what AFJ called "a challenging context" last year.
The magazine singled out the following transactions as demonstrating the depth and breadth of the Bank's aviation franchise:
- First AFIC combined with first French tax lease with Royal Air Maroc for the financing of their first ever Boeing 787-9 and Max 8 aircraft
- Project Aladdin - Sale of
AirAsia's 84 aircraft leasing operations to Fly Leasing and Incline
Aviation, as sell-side advisor and buy-side financier
- Project Melville on behalf of Macquarie Air Finance - $3 billion secured term loan combined with $1 billion unsecured revolving credit facility, involving 135 aircraft on lease with 67 lessees
- Virgin Atlantic's first ever revolving credit facility
- Arranger/Bookrunner in five Asset-backed securitisations (ABS) transactions (Sapphire Aviation, CLAS 2018-1, TBOLT 2018-A, HORZN 2018-1, CARGO 2018-1)
Airfinance Journal (AFJ) is a market-leading financial publication about the global aircraft and aviation business and is owned by Euromoney Trading Ltd.